Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Summer 2011

What a summer!

It’s been so long that I had to read my last post just to see where I left off!

I’ll just keep it to the highlights….
Mariada is a permit carrying teenager…that’s right she can drive with an approved adult…currently her dad is the only one that will drive with her! I find this to be funny since when it was Ben the only person that could teach him without incident or argument was me….I don’t know what that says about parents and kids but I must say that it’s nice to not have the stress of teaching another child to drive on my shoulders! OK still a bit of stress, on our way to church last Sunday there was a forgot the car was still in reverse and almost went through the fence moment that was a bit stressful!
Days after drivers training ended Mariada was off to Wisconsin for a soccer camp, she LOVED it and wants very much to go to the even longer camp next summer in Boston. Then she was home for a few days and we left for a two week boat trip, one week with good friends and the second week with Ben and Sara. It was warm and sunny both weeks but the waves really kicked up the second week and Sara and Mariada get sea sick so we decided to not go as far as planned and stayed in Michigan this year. Swimming and soccer started while we were still on the boat so Mariada missed a few practices. Since being back she has been very busy with both, she has already had two swim meets and a soccer tournament. I really wish fall sports would start in the fall, but no one asked so I guess it’s just me that doesn’t like summer to end ;)
We also had a big day of laser tag and beaching it with a gaggle of girls for Mariada’s 15th birthday. She had tons of fun and is thrilled to be starting high school in a week! High school was much of the discussion at the birthday party and its fun to listen to the chatter about how different it’s going to be this year! Cute.
This week I take Ben back to Ann Arbor, he’s going to be a sophomore in collage, and I cannot believe that he turned 20 years old this past month! After returning from California he helped around the house building me a beach shed and just hanging out with friends. Since he didn’t have an official job he came on the boat trip for a week with a friend and it was really fun to have them, listening to the conversations of your 20 year old son and his friend was quite something for Bob and I. I know everybody says it, but they really do grow up fast!
Sara is so busy with her summer jobs and training, but it was great fun to have her along for the boat trip as well. She has her race schedule for next winter and will be spending a month in Montana training. She is thrilled to have a sponsor this year ( as our we) much of her equipment will be given to her, which is really great since this year they changed the kind of ski’s you can race on and she was looking at having to buy all new ski’s.
We had such a fun and busy summer and I still can’t believe it’s coming to an end. We had many great weekends on the beach with friends and even had a few perfect weather nights to go down to the beach a build a fire to roast hot dogs and smores!


Lewis had a blast on the boat trip! I have to download the pic's from the camera, so maybe the next post :)



Mariada showing of her mad skills at camp.




We took the kids to see U2 at Spartan stadium, Mariada was blown away, along with the other 72,000 people!


No comments: